Besides improved health of your dog. there are additional benefits to be gained by using nature’s essential oils for their care. Dogs have a very good instinct for essential oils and are drawn naturally to the oils that are good for them or that they need at any given time. Dogs have a much stronger sense of smell than humans, it is thought they have 200 million olfactory receptors. Almost 20 times that what humans have !
Is your dog prone to some naughty behavior now and then ? Come on what dog owner doesn’t experience the odd frustration with some dog antics that drive them nuts (chewing shoes, barking, great escapes) any of these sound familiar? Most of the time when dogs are acting out it is a result of some form of pent up energy or anxiety. The solution is to calm our furry friend down a bit. My number one solution to this problem is a nice, long good old fashioned dog walk to tire him/her out but I also use the below blend of aromatherapy to help ease anxiety for my furry friend (my dog gets really sad when he is left alone).
Homemade Dog Calming Aromatherapy Blend
- 3 oz witch hazel (this one is great because it is alcohol and scent free)
- 2 drops Lavender Oil (I love the NOW brand as they are high quality and easily accessible available at most health food stores)
- 2 drops Cedarwood Oil
- 2 drops Frankincense Oil
- Glass or Plastic Spray Bottle for distribution (the amber color helps to preserve the precious oils from harmful sunlight and UV damage)
How to Make Good Dog Aromatherapy blend
- Combine all ingredients spray bottle.
- Shake Well to mix
- Recipe will keep for up to one month
- Spray on Fido directly sparingly or spray his most loved hangouts (bed, blankie etc). generously.